Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Kicad SVN builds for OSX

I've managed to cobble together some universal builds of kicad for mac osx. These a based on wxMac2.8 so the graphics is still very screwy. I might try a wxCocoa build some time in the future.

The script which is on a cron job to run every day is below.


#!/bin/sh

#Make a nightly build of kicad

#update from svn
cd /Volumes/Scratch/kicad-sources
svn up
new_version=`svn info | grep Revision | cut -f 2 -d\ `
old_version=`cat /temp/install/version.txt`
if [ $new_version -gt $old_version ]
then

#build it
cd build/release
cmake ../../ -DwxWidgets_CONFIG_EXECUTABLE=/usr/bin/wx-config -DwxWidgets_ROOT_DIR=/Volumes/Scratch/wxMac-2.8.8/include -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/temp/install -DBoost_INCLUDE_DIR=/Volumes/Scratch/kicad-sources -DCMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES="ppc -arch i386" -DCPP_FLAGS="-arch i386 -arch ppc"

make clean
if make
then
make install

#bundle
cd /temp/
tar -czf kicad_osx_v`cat install/version.txt`.tgz install

#upload
curl -T kicad_osx_v`cat install/version.txt`.tgz ftp://user:password@ftp.brokentoaster.com/

echo $new_version > /temp/install/version.txt
fi
else
echo "Kicad is uptodate :) "
fi


You can find the builds at http://www.brokentoaster.com/kicad/. No guarantees on usefulness.

7 Comments:

At 6:17 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks *heaps* for doing this--I like not having to do something like this myself. :-)

I know I should post this to the dev list, but I'm yet to subscribe, comments on v1255:

* I've noticed that all the apps seem to crash on exit.

* (Obviously) the component libraries aren't included--I assume this is intentional.

* It would be helpful (IMO) if the folder when untarred was named with the version number, maybe something like: kicad_v1255.

Once again, I really appreciate you doing this--it's things like this that will help get OS X supported as a first class citizen with KiCad.

--Phil.

P.S. Yes, I realise patches are welcome. :-)

 
At 7:36 pm, Blogger Nick said...

Having a play with my script so should be a better name for the folder from now on.

I did have them not quit once on exit but I have no idea why this was.

My motivation for doing this was to make sure I wasn't doing something stupid in building kicad. But I think some of the problems are with wxMac itself.

Good Luck.

 
At 2:12 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, thanks a lot! That is was I have been looking for for quite some time. Finally, no need for windows emulation on my mac!

 
At 12:27 pm, Blogger freemac said...

I need :
-exact wxWidgets version you use
-exact ./configure parameters you used for compiling wxMac

The differents crash log of kiCAD run on my black MacBook are there :
http://yunyunaof.free.fr/dotclear/index.php?2008/10/31/495-kicad-sous-osx

A frenchy boy.

 
At 10:13 pm, Blogger Nick said...

Using wxwidgets 2.8.8

Configured with

../configure --disable-shared --with-opengl --enable-universal_binary

 
At 11:32 pm, Blogger Red said...

Nick...
Thanks a million. Seriously. I've struggled now for over a day (on OS 10.5.5) to get wxMac installed and then Kicad. After finally getting wxMac 2.8 to play nice, installing Boost I get stuck on the "cmake" portion of the kicad install. Try as I might, it gets stuck on a svn permissions thing. So I gave up.
I then went for the mac-typical install method (make -f makefile.macosx) only to find all sorts of make errors. Struggled through a bunch but got stuck with it looking for a bitmap file.
So, here I am, downloading one of your nightly builds with a simple question: Which is the most stable release that you have???
I'm working with v1409 and it definitely has save/close issues and even some filenaming issues.

Thanks!
-Red

 
At 7:39 am, Blogger Nick said...

@red:
Umm I hate to admit it but the most stable release is the one for windows. :(

I've not been able to get a useful version of kicad for osx out of the build process.

Most of the problems are due to wxMac bugs which do not draw things correctly on the screen.

I sadly haven't had much time to look into it but I thought that putting up the nightlys might be useful to someone who does.

Sorry can't be of any more help.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home